Sunday, June 17, 2007

Post

Mark Freeland, Connecticut and Normal 1998


I guess it's what a lot of people are feeling. This weird, empty feeling we got when we found out that Mark died. I found out that he was sick a few weeks ago- wasn't supposed to know, so didn't get to see him. Then I was thinking about how long it has been. At first I felt guilty, but then I realized that I was feeling bad for ME. That he was the most talented and creative person I may ever know, and I won't have the chance to ever tell him that.
Looking at the memories and stories that have been posted by countless people (WNYMusic and the Buffalo News , even VH1), he touched so many people. I know he's in a good place now, and there are a million stories that we who are still here could tell about knowing him. And I'm so glad to have these memories. It really makes me appreciate the people in my life right now. It's sad, and yet I have another reason to thank him. From reactions of other people that knew him, I think that this has hit a lot of us in a different way than other deaths we've experienced.
When I'm listening to "Girl Power" (as I have about 1,000x since Thursday), my heart races and I'm smiling. That, I think is how the memories will feel.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home