Sunday, October 15, 2006

Friday the 13th (and beyond)


Well, that was the earliest I've seen winter in these parts...
We finally got cable back, and the Internet and phone came with it. We lucked out- there were people just houses away on our block that lost power. We just (imagine this!) read books! (I say that sarcastically-I have a job where I have had to talk to people in hurricane zones whose priorities are all messed up in a disaster). OK, we did miss 2 Sabres games, but for the most part.....
I think that weather like this, in a weird way, is really good for the spirit of this town. By this, I must stress that I know that many are still not out of the woods (Kevin's mom is staying here - Depew still has no power), and I wish the best for them. People here really seem to pull together in times like these. No matter what your differences, we are all in the same boat. Out of towners often mention how nice Buffaloians are. I think that we have an innate sense of humility that builds up during times like these. No matter how many people were watching the Weather Channel in Florida or California, feeling sorry for us (mostly laughing), they lack the very camaraderie that we have here. Oh, and we'll pick up a book when the TV is out....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home